Friday, February 27, 2009

Me To We - I am Silent

The "I Am Silent" Campaign, created by FREE THE CHILDREN kicks off in t-minus six days. On March 5th, 2009, all those who have vowed, will be silent for twenty-four hours. This means no talk. No text. No E-mail. No Fax... ect. (Unless at work or school.)

As the news passes through the halls, more and more people are curious about this campaign. I myself didn't really understand the proposal -why not speak UP for those who don't have a voice, why are WE being quiet about this?

Well it all makes perfect sence.

We, as Canadians, have incredible opporotunities that we fail to appreciate -on a daily basis. We can go to school for free, have free transportation to school (SAFE transportation), we have jobs, our own money -own lives. I could go on and on about the security, advantages and privledges of Canadian life...

In developing countries, children are born into a life that they alone cannot change. Many children don't have healthcare, let a lone education -let alone free education. Many children don't have rights, or a 'voice'. In Canada's democracy (Capitalism), many of us abuse this privledge. We choose not to look outside of our own bubbles.

This being said, people in the hallways at school will notice if you are silent for two days straight.

"why aren't you texting me back?" "Why aren't you answering me?" "Why are you acting so weird?" "How come you weren't online last night?" Ect, ect.

It's a very interesting campaign that I look forward to participating in. I hope you do as well.
For more information check out:

www.Metowe.com

No comments: